What Patients Should I Refer:
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) improves patient outcomes, quality of life, and lowers health care costs. Many patients with various diagnoses can benefit from the intervention of medical nutrition therapy. Here are some examples:
- Diabetes (type 1, type 2, pre-diabetes, and gestational diabetes)
- Kidney disease
- Bariatric surgery
- High blood pressure
- Childhood obesity
- Failure to thrive or underweight
- Fatty Liver
- High cholesterol
- CHF (congestive heart failure)
- Tube feeding
- Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity
- Irritable bowel disease or irritable bowel syndrome
Which Insurance Covers MNT?
Medicare: Covers medical nutrition therapy for diabetes, kidney disease, and if you’ve had a kidney transplant in the past 36 months. A doctor referral is required.
Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP): All nutrition related conditions are typically covered. The doctor referral can be submitted online in the IEHP Provider Portal.
Many other private insurance companies also cover MNT services for a variety of conditions and diseases.
I’m Ready to Begin My Referral
Please take these few easy steps to ensure your patients are eligible to receive Medical Nutrition Therapy.
- Include the diagnosis and diagnosis codes.
- Send recent lab data and medications with the referral form.
- Document the medical necessity for MNT in the patient’s chart.
Finally, fax the completed MNT Referral Form to our office at 951-231-1501.
Thank you for collaborating with us to provide the best possible care to your patients.
Our Provider’s Information
Estrella Walker, MS, Registered Dietitian
NPI # 1932577038
CAQH (Council for Affordable Quality Healthcare) # 14665388