Detox diets are an ever popular topic, especially this time of year as New Year’s resolutions abound. The general idea of detoxification is the process of removing toxins from the body.
There are two types of toxins that the body can be exposed to. First, are the toxins that are made in the body during metabolism (examples include urea and lactic acid). Second are external toxins which can be introduced into the body through eating, drinking, breathing, and absorption through the skin. Some examples of external toxins include pesticides, alcohol, mercury from certain seafood, chemicals in tobacco products, drugs, lead from car exhaust, and air pollution.
Detox diets and cleanses are usually pretty restrictive and limited to only a handful of items you can consume. The great thing is your body is already equipped with its own natural detoxification system.
Listed below are 6 simple ways to support your body’s natural detoxification process:
6 Ways to Naturally Detox
1. Stay hydrated with water
2. Eat 5 to 9 servings of vegetables and fruit per day
3. Eat dietary fiber daily from whole grains, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fruit to maintain regular bowel function.
4. Include cruciferous vegetables and other foods that support the body’s detoxification processes. Examples include: broccoli, onion, artichokes, garlic, green tea, leeks, berries, and Brussels sprouts.
5. Eat adequate amounts of lean protein which is important in maintaining optimum levels of the enzyme glutathione which plays a key role in the body’s detoxification process. Some examples of lean protein include: fish, turkey, chicken, cottage cheese, tofu, eggs, and nut butters.
6. Consider taking a multivitamin/multi mineral to fill in the gaps of a healthy diet as certain vitamins and minerals help enable the body’s detoxification pathways.
Finally, help your body detox by limiting processed foods and sugar. Ultimately the best detox is an overall healthy diet and eating plan.
I hope this week’s post encourages you to find a more natural way to detox in 2020.
The Diet Duchess