What comes to mind when you think of the word snack? Is it a bag of flaming hot Cheetos? Or a pack of Oreos? Or fresh veggies with hummus dip? Snacks are not by themselves a bad or unhealthy thing to indulge in, but like with your daily meals, the types of food you’re choosing to eat matter.
Snacks have for years had a notoriously bad reputation because they are more commonly associated with unhealthy foods. This week I’d like to share an easy, healthy snack that you can prepare and enjoy guilt free.
Chickpeas are featured in this week’s recipe. They are a good plant based source of protein and are also rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. In addition, chickpeas have been found in some emerging research to play a beneficial role in weight management and glucose and insulin regulation. As you can see, there are many health related reasons to give this week’s recipe a try.
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and lay out on a baking tray. I used parchment paper to save time on cleaning up.
- Mix in the smoked paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper and salt directly on the tray.
3. Put in the oven at 400°F for about 30-35 mins (I roasted mine for 30 minutes).
4. Remove from the oven when they are golden.
5. If you want them crispy they will need closer to 35 mins, but keep a close eye on them because they can go from very crispy to burnt in a matter of minutes.
This recipe is so simple taking only 1-2 minutes to prepare and 30-35 minutes to bake. Let me know how you like the BBQ roasted chickpeas by commenting and liking below. I hope this week’s post gives you a new healthy snack that you love.
The Diet Duchess