Valentine’s Day is just a few days away and is a great time to surprise the ones you love (or even just yourself) with a special treat. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative than your typical cookies, cupcakes, or candy……this week’s post has just what you’re looking for.
This tasty recipe from Skinnytaste has a few healthy components. First off, you’re actually including a veggie in your muffin, but don’t worry with these muffins it won’t even taste like you’re eating vegetables. The zucchini has a very neutral flavor and blends in very nicely with the rest of the muffin. My toddler helped me eat these zucchini chocolate chip muffins, and she couldn’t stop asking me for more bites. Needless to say these zucchini muffins are even kid friendly 😉
Another perk of this recipe is that it is partly whole grain because it uses white whole wheat flour. It is also lower in fat than your typical muffin recipe using applesauce in substitution for some of the butter. This helps cut down on fat and makes the muffins more moist. The final perk of this recipe is that is has a lot less sugar than most store bought muffins. Check out the recipe below.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 16 to 18 minutes
- cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1-1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini (not packed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners and spray with oil.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and gently mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg, vanilla, melted butter, apple sauce and zucchini.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Spoon the batter into lined muffin tins about 3/4 filled.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool before eating.
Comment and like below, and be sure to let me know how you enjoy this recipe. Skinnytaste recipes are some of my favorite because they taste great but have a healthier spin to them. Until next week.
The Diet Duchess